The WSO is proud to launch the 3rd annual Sikh Youth Leadership Institute (SYLI)!
Apply to attend a 4 day, all expenses paid, leadership institute in Ottawa, Ontario. The 2017 SYLI will be held from August 11-14.
Vision and Mission
Successful applicants will be provided advocacy and leadership training in emotional intelligence, political advocacy, community building and social justice. Our successful applicants will then also be provided with life long mentoring and support in becoming leaders in their own communities across Canada. Graduates will become activists and leaders for not only Sikhs, but Canadian society in general.
- From August 11-14, 2017 in the nation's capital of Ottawa
- Flight (For non-Ontario/Quebec residents only. For residents of Ontario and Quebec, you will be provided gas or Greyhound reimbursement - exceptions to this may be made depending on where in Ontario and Quebec you reside), hotel and meals will be fully covered. If you are successfully selected as an applicant, there is a $175 admission fee.
- You will be staying in downtown Ottawa
- Flights will be through Air Canada
- Modules and workshops will cover topics such as emotional intelligence, general leadership and advocacy skills, and leadership in the business, political and social justice fields. Modules and workshops will be facilitated by leaders in the field.
- Open to residents of Canada only
- Application deadline: June 30, 11:59pm PST.
- Must be a resident of Canada
- Must be between the ages of 18-26 (if you are under the age of 18, you may be accepted if you are university bound for September 2017 and have the full consent of your parents/guardian).
- Have a passion for community activism and social justice
Benefits of the SYLI
- Learn how to advocate for issues that concern you, as well as gain practical knowledge and experience on essential leadership qualities and skills
- Network with successful applicants from across Canada
- Meet and learn from successful politicians, business people, and community activists
- Receive training by professional modules
- Enjoy Ottawa for four days on an all expense paid trip
Mentoring and Support
Graduates will receive life long mentoring after completing the SYLI training. You will also be expected to take the skills and networks you develop over the 4 days and apply them to your local community. The WSO and your mentor will assist you in implementing and developing your own community action, initiative or cause!
How to Apply
Please send your resume, and a one page cover letter explaining why you are the perfect applicant for the SYLI to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 30, 2017. Make sure to answer the following questions in your cover letter:
- What previous events, initiatives, etc. have you been a part of or led?
- What do you wish to accomplish with the SYLI?
- What is an issue you want to solve?
- What does advocacy mean to you?
Admission decisions will be made by July 7, 2017!