The Sikh Mentorship Program (SMP) is designed to connect Sikh professionals with Sikh students (16+) who are seeking guidance and direction academically or professionally. Alongside mentor-mentee matching (details below), the SMP will also include workshops, panels, and networking events. Learn more about the expectations and responsibilities of mentors and mentees below.
Mentor-Mentee Matching Initiative Application
The mentor-mentee matching initiative is only available to Ontario and British Columbia residents at this time.
Mentor-Mentee Matching Initiative Application Deadline: BC, August 16, 2019 | Ontario, 2020 Term TBD
Mentor-Mentee Matching Programming Dates: BC, September to December 2019 | Ontario, 2020 Term TBD
Should I Apply to the Mentor-Mentee Matching Initiative?
You should apply as a mentee if you are a Sikh student (16+) looking for academic or professional advice.
You should apply as a mentor if you are a working professional looking to give back to the community and support the next generation of Sikhs.
The mentor-mentee matching initiative is limited to British Columbia and Ontario at this time.
Space is limited, so preference will be given to students enrolled in a post-secondary institution.
Expectations & Responsibilities for Mentors and Mentees
- Meet with your mentee for at least 1 hour a month (this can include giving a tour or a visit to your workplace, if possible)
- Attend the Closing Reception
- Encouraged to attend other SMP related events
- Set up meetings with your mentors, including providing an agenda and specific questions prior to each meeting
- Respond to your mentor in a timely fashion and be mindful of your mentor’s time and other responsibilities
- Attend SMP events and workshops which will be announced at a later dates